Friday, December 11, 2009

Training Scrapped Due to an Injury

Trent hurt his shoulder on the day of practice. I haven't gotten the details yet but as he's a roofer (a job I spent some time on in my youth) a shoulder or arm injury is always just a slip away. It's terrible news, not only in terms of his livelihood, but in terms or our training group. As we have a pretty small group (usually only 4 on most sessions) losing one guy is a big blow. Trent, I hope you heal fast and if surgery is required, I pray that it goes as well as possible. If anyone can bounce back though, he's the one. This guy has tough sinewy muscles, great speed, and forearms like Popeye. (I'm barely exaggerating on this one) He'll bounce back.

I've kept up with my modified chun choi drill. Hitting the mattress in my living room actually helps as it gives me targets (via the ridiculous print pattern) to hit. I aim my punches at the face of a grandfather clock, and my blocks at bells to each side. I do need to find a way to do some cardio though as it's too cold for jump roping in the patio this week. It sure would be nice to have an elliptical machine in my living room.

Training focus for the week:

1. Base. "All your base are belong to us!" I'm focusing on keeping my base throughout all of my training, whether it be punch drills, weight training or what have you. If I can train myself to naturally be in a good base, I'll have a significant advantage against most 'drunk guys at a bar' scenarios that I might run into. A punch strongly rooted to the ground that efficiently transfers my body weight into the strike is going to be stronger and quicker than one which isn't, hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment